The Mandatory About Me Page
My: About Me page.
Below is basically the 1st two page of my bio/resume. I think this represents a pretty fair idea of some of the things I have been able to accomplish. Where I’ve been, some of the great people I’ve hung out with.
This first link sends you to a page where I have listed all the places I have been published and articles that profiled me or my work. The second will link you to a list of the more prominent events I have been asked to speak or lecture for.
This list also includes Lectures/Workshops WCI has put on in the past or events that I am still producing, or willing to produce. Please fell free to contact me with any questions or comments.
Career Accomplishments and Professional Memberships:
Rick Anderson is a Landscape Designer, consultant, builder, lecturer, writer, teacher and artist whose main working materials are stone and water. Rick contributes numerous articles to magazines, speaks at national conferences and has worked throughout the U.S. From his travel, study, appreciation of the natural world, and all things involved, Rick is able to interpret this in lectures, writings and the design of space in the landscape.
- Philosophy of Design Forum, Founder. First forum was in 1997 with focus on creativity. The POD Forum was started to provide an outlet for landscape designers to come together and dialogue on issues that were of concern.
- Whispering Crane Institute, Co-Founder along with Richard Dube’. Initially formed as a vehicle to host and support POD, WCI provides outstanding educational and visionary outreach to the Green Industry. WCI has put on programs throughout the USA.
- Ston Wurks, a design/build business known for using stone in traditional, modern, and unique landscapes. Stone and water features are another important element, as is landscape design.
- The Stone Foundation: Elected to the 1st board of Trustees, 10/05. Elected; 1st Chairman of Board of Trustees
- American Seminar Leaders Association; Certified Seminar leader.
- Community Design Center of Columbia, South Carolina; CDCC Chair 1998-2000. Board Member 1996-2000.
- Association of Professional Landscape Designers, APLD. Founding member. Served two terms on the Board of Directors. Conference Chair for the 1996 annual meeting held in Charleston, SC.
- Midlands Technical College, Certificate Program. Instructor for Landscape Design (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced), Landscape Construction, Landscape Graphics (Beginner and Advanced), 1997-2000.
- Carolina Children’s Garden, Columbia, SC. Lead design and layout for the gardens. Consulted with all designers of individual gardens. This is an ongoing project.
- “Ascension” A 270 ton stone sculpture at a major entryway into the City of Columbia, SC. Commissioned by the Columbia Appearance Commission.
- “Pushing the Design Envelope” a series of workshops developed by WCI for APLD. A multi-city tour 1998.
- “Zimmerman Lecture Series” Chicago Botanical Gardens. Lecture title, “The Request of the Stone.” 1996.
- APLD; Association of Professional Landscape Designers, Founding Member
- GWAA; Garden Writers of America
- TSF, The Stone Foundation
- IGS, International Water Garden Society
- NAWGS, National Association of Water Gardening Society
- ANLA, American Nursery & Landscape
- GCLA Community Service Award, 1998
- American Horticultural Society, Sculptural site-amenities on display at the Children’s Garden in Alexandria, VA.
- University of Akron 1974-1975, 1982, 1984, 2002 Coursework: History and Philosophy.
Other pages with biographical info on written work, speaking engagements, and workshops for those in the trade.
- Published list
- Seminars, Workshops, Lectures, list.