The Whispering Crane Institute was originally formed to act as the umbrella organization for the Philosophy of Design Symposium and other seminars and workshops given by Rick Anderson and Richard L.Dube’.
In the year 2000 WCI became a sole proprietorship owned by Rick Anderson. We work out of our World Headquarters in beautiful East Central Ohio.
Landscape Design is my work and my passion. The building respect for this industry is also my passion and commitment to all the great Designers in history who have come before me, and my small chance to help those coming along behind me.
Today the WCI provides design and consultation services for Landscape Contractors, acts as a “Green Industry” think tank, providing training for others in the form of workshops, seminars, and individual consulting.
Maybe your group needs a day of intensive design work, or improving rendering skills. Maybe a outdoor classroom, or trip to Hocking Hills.
The WCI also provides written material, opinions, case-studies and how-to articles for industry trade magazines.
Here’s How I can Help
- Do you need a Professional Landscape Designer?
- Do you need someone to work with your design staff? Drawing efficiency? Presentation skills, graphic skills, or listening skills?
- Do you need a Speaker? A seminar leader? I am available to speak on several different subjects and topics. How about teaching . . . design skills, waterfeature building, or stone placement?
- Do you need someone with experience in setting large boulders?
- Do you need someone to help you build naturalistic water features; as in ponds, streams, and waterfalls? I have designed built over 250 different types of water features.
- I am available to contract commissions anywhere you would need me. Hourly, daily, and weekly rates are negotiable
- Philosophy of Design Forum, Founder. First forum was in 1997 with focus on creativity. The POD Forum was started to provide an outlet for landscape designers to come together and dialogue on issues that were of concern.
- Whispering Crane Institute, Co-Founder along with Richard Dube’. Initially formed as a vehicle to host and support POD, WCI provides educational and visionary outreach to the Green Industry. WCI has put on programs throughout the USA
- Ston Wurks, a design/build business known for using stone in traditional, modern, and unique landscapes. Stone and water features are another important element, as is landscape design.
- The Stone Foundation: Elected to the 1st board of Trustees, 10/05. Elected; 1st Chairman of Board of Trustees.
- American Seminar Leaders Association; Certified Seminar leader.
- Community Design Center of Columbia, South Carolina; CDCC Chair Board Member 1996-2000.
- Association of Professional Landscape Designers, APLD. Founding member. Served 2 terms on the Board of Directors. Conference Chair for the 1996 annual meeting held in Charleston, SC.
- Midlands Technical College, Certificate Program. Instructor for Landscape Design (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced), Landscape Construction, Landscape Graphics (Beginner and Advanced), 1997-2000.
- Carolina Children’s Garden, Columbia, SC. Lead design and layout for the gardens. Consulted with all designers of individual gardens. This is an ongoing project.
- “Ascension” A 270 ton stone sculpture at a major entryway into the City of Columbia, SC. Commissioned by the Columbia Appearance Commission.
- “Pushing the Design Envelope” a series of workshops developed by WCI for APLD. A multi-city tour
- “Zimmerman Lecture Series” Chicago Botanical Gardens. Lecture title, “The Request of the Stone.”
Organizations, Past and Present
- APLD; Association of Professional Landscape Designers, Founding Member
- GWAA; Garden Writers of America
- TSF, The Stone Foundation
- NAWGS, National Association of Water Gardening Society
- ANLA, American Nursery & Landscape Association